Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Birth Day of Dylan

Sunday morning (one day before my due date) I started my day with my daily walk.  I remember thinking it was a challenge.  I was having a lot of cramping, contractions and pelvic pressure.  The dogs were acting strange - laying on the bedroom rug staring at me, whining and barking outside.  We went to a friend's little boys birthday and I was not able to think straight, tummy was hard and I felt like my period was coming.  We went home and I took two naps.  Justin firmly told Dylan to "come out buddy" and my whole stomach moved like nothing we had seen before.  I sent my mom an email that I was going to set an induction date of 10.7.10 on my due date appointment.  We got ready to go to some friends for dinner.  I noticed "bloody show" when I went to the bathroom.  I told Justin he may be coming tonight.  I hoped so since my Doctor was on call.  So, we packed the car before heading to the store and our friends for dinner.  By the time we got to our friends I was more absent minded, stomach and back hurting more, and contractions were becoming more intense and frequent.  I called Labor and Delivery and the nurse advised me to start timing my contractions, go home relax with a hot bath, get some rest, call back, or come in when they are 1 minute long, 5 minutes apart and lasting 1 hour.  I tried to eat my dinner but my contractions became more intense and more frequent.  I no longer could sit still or have a normal conversation so went home.  Justin skateboarded the dogs around the block.  I got into bed and immediately got back up.  I knew it was time to go to the hospital.  Justin could not get back soon enough.  My contractions were now intense 1 min long and coming every 3-5 minutes, my lips were chattering and I was shaking uncontrollably.  All the things I had learned in my classes were out the window.  Breathing and staring at my contraction timer application on my phone was all I could do.  Justin could not drive fast enough until we got pulled over by a DPS cop.  Thankfully, he let us go.  I could barely walk into L&D.  My back hurt so bad, I had to brace myself on Justin and stop while I was having the contractions.  We arrived at 8:45 pm, I was 3-4cm dilated and 80% effaced.  I could not sit still while the nurse checked me.  I had to stand up, pace and kept going to the bathroom.  My back hurt so bad.  I was having back labor which felt like someone was breaking my spine in two.  I decided to accept an epidural because I could not bare the pain and was miserable.  I had become primal with no control over my body as if I was having an out of body experience.   Receiving the epidural was a challenge since I could not sit during my contractions.  Thankfully, we were the only patients delivering that night so I was able to get one quick and not have to wait!  That was one of the best decisions, I was myself again, able to relax while I continued to dilate and soften.  My Mom, Mark and Robbie joined us for the big event.  Before we knew it, I was 5 cm dilated and progressing fast.  The doctor broke my water and gave me pitocin since my contractions were not increasing, yet I was continuing to dilate.  After 7 hours, I was 10cm dilated.  At 4 am we were going to start practicing pushing.  That didn't happen, at 4 am it was the real thing!  I pushed for 45 minutes and delivered a happy, healthy little boy!  There was meconium in my water.  A Pediatrician and Respiratory Therapist attended to Dylan on the warmer while I finished delivering the placenta and received a few stitches.  He was screaming and I was so relieved that he was healthy, it was over and so excited to meet him!  The nurse handed him to me and he began breast feeding immediately with no problems.  I was in love at first sight!