Friday afternoon we were having down time and doing house work when I smelt something burning. I thought they were burning cane at first but it kept getting stronger and stronger! Finally, I went to look outside when I noticed through our Ohana window the flames and smoke coming from the cane fields behind our house. They shouldn't of been burning at the late hour and with the crazy wind we were having. Justin called 911 and they had just gotten a call. Once it registered how close it was I immediately started to pack a bag and get the most important items. I went to check on it again and the wind was blowing the flames closer. I calmly told the boys to it was an emergency and i would explain later but they needed to pack a bag and get their loveys. It was a challenge not to panic and keep calm for the boys. They were so good and listened to me great! I went to check call out to our neighbors but couldn't find them. I went back got another load and noticed they were all by the fence watching. I took a peak when we all decided it was time to go. People were coming down our street to watch and I wanted to be sure I was able to get out! Also, if my neighbors were nervous, I was getting out!! They surf Jaws for goodness sake! Justin got the dogs and was going to finish loading his work computers and other items. I took off with the boys and headed to the club. I was so scared but knew I had the most important items in may car! Kids! We were safe and Justin was too. We hung out at the club for the afternoon/evening. Justin ended up staying home to watch it in case he could help in any way. Firetrucks finally showed up, made a barrier around our house and a fire line for the fire. parameters for it. Justin assured me that they had it under control but there still was a ton of smoke and ash. We stayed away. Thank goodness. When we came home there was ash everywhere. Justin said the poor dogs were covered in it from sitting in his truck. Mahalo Nui Loa to the firefighters and helicopters that saved our home and many others and kept everyone safe!!!
Good to always have an emergency plan in place and practice drills with the Keiki!
Too close for comfort.
Fire is a little close.
Putting it out.
They parked in our driveway.
Thank you for keeping our house safe.
When I came home.
Ahhhh its over.
Friends picture from the Kuau Plaza. We are down wind of all the smoke.
A friends picture that lives across the highway. We are on the fire side basically where the flames are.
Meanwhile Uncle Mike and friends came to the club too to get out of all the smoke.









