Sunday, April 27, 2014

BE Effect

Thought it would be fun to do a girls paddle board event here.  I was intimidated because it was on the North Shore where there are BIG waves and can be an iffy shore break.  So, I asked some girls if they wanted to do it with me and they did!! I was super happy yet nervous.  To make myself comfortable (and thank goodness I did) I called this girl I know to take me out on a guided lesson pre race on the same course.  I am so, so thankful I did because it made me more comfortable and I think I was able to react better day of under the situations we were in.  Plus, she let me borrow her bigger board and right size paddle which was a blessing again in the conditions I was in!  I am a racer at heart but since I am new to this sport, I was in no means racing.  I wanted to have fun and have some girl time!  We had a great time but I learned a lot of life lessons!  

I have never been so close to survival mode in my life.  We had to be there at 9am and thought the race started at 10am.  At about 10 we learned it was starting at 11!  Well, the wind only picks up as the day goes on and it was already windy to start with.  The pre race prep was fun and thankfully there was a blessing!  We needed it!  Finally, at 11 we were taking off into the water.  Immediately, I saw some girls get taken out by some waves and the wind and waves were blowing!  Me-Shell and I were partners and we made it about half way and then ended up in a wave break with people getting tossed everywhere.  I was having fun and chatting with Me-Shell when the next thing I knew, I was down in the water too.  Came up to boards and kayaks flying down wave and wind towards my face.  Thankfully, I remembered to DIVE, DIVE, DIVE!  I can not get the visions of the kayak and pointed, super long board headed for my face!  I got hit probably 4 times from who knows whose boards!  I have bruises and a nice shiner under my eye but thankfully that is it!  I thought for a second I was knocked out but remember telling myself "I am ok.  I am ok. Get it together.  Dive down and open your eyes for survival."  Then, came up for some air and boom got hit again in the nose.  Thought my nose was bleeding.  Thankfully it was not!  I could not get my board to tip over fast enough to get on it before another board was bolting down the wave at me.  I had no choice but to dive down.  Came up again to a board coming down at me and getting stuck on top of mine.  What am I going to do?  Maybe take off my leash?  This board is a cluster?  Maybe I should swim to shore?  So, I took off my leash and was about to ditch the board and try to swim when I realized that was not a good idea because I need my board and what if the leash got tangled on me while holding it.  So, put it back on my ankle and dove down again.  This time I thought I have to figure out how to open my eyes under this water to protect myself.  Well, thankfully I came up for air and noticed I could touch.  It was reef but I did not care at this point about my feet.  I thought, "I can live with some cuts".  I had a second to flip my board and got on so fast!!!! Thankfully I was able to stand on the reef and get a breath and gather myself together so I could survive.  Ahhhhh. Then, I noticed a Jet ski lifeguard!!!!!  I was screaming for help at this moment and he came over and I rushed to get on the back of his ski!!!  "Please I have 2 kids and almost died.   I can't find my paddle and I am F*C9ing DONE!"  There was another girl on there with me and I had my board attached to my ankle.  I told him "I don't care, take me in! Please!"  He told me to wait there on my board and he would be right back for me.  I took a few deep breathes and got myself together and hopped off onto my board.  "I can do this, I can do this!"   Ok, now I have to get my paddle which I spotted it (thankfully) about 10 feet downwind from me.  All while managing to stay on my board in the waves and fight boards from hitting me.  I think I surf paddled to my paddle, managed to grab it and paddled on my knees harder than I have ever paddled before!  Whew, I made it out of that break!!!  OMG!  What the hell just happened!?!????  I did not care, I needed to find my partner....wait no, I needed to finish this race safely.  I noticed Me-Shell ahead.  She was ok.  I tried to catch her but was about 15 feet behind her the whole time but she could not hear me because of the wind.  I made sure to keep my distance from everyone and kept paddling super fast!  I managed to stand up and saw the helicopter and gave them a shaka!  I was so thankful that I had not just died!  I rode the waves in and hopped off my board and rushed it to sand.  The wind was blowing everyones boards around to I was super careful to not get hit or hit anyone with my board.  Me-Shell was exiting when I was and her hubby was there.  He helped us get our boards out of the way and Kai Lenny came up to us with Leis, told us congrats and that we did a great job and we got our picture with him!!!  Ahhhh...thanks for making it worth it Kai!  We debriefed and found Kimmy, Karla, Justin and Kids.  We all made it safely!  What a relief.  Kimmy had a similar experience to mine but she did get taken in by the lifeguard because she isn't a strong swimmer.  Felt so bad for her because it was my idea!  
I was high on life the rest of the day, totally exhausted, super sore and banged up!
I think I am ready for some serious wave training!  I do want paddle again but only under better wind conditions and NEVER with a huge group of people!!! 

Hope to get the after pics of us and Kai Lenny soon.  Also, to see the way I looked pre race vs. after race.  Missing sunglasses and hat and probably looked like I went through a washing machine.  Thankfully the girl who runs the event was able to give me another hat since I had just bought it!  Sunglasses I knew better so they were a $20 pair!

Justin's Video of the Butterfly Effect Event.  
Wish I would of had the go pro on to know what the hell happened to me!

Helping Dad.

Look at the clouds in this pic.  Droning it up.

We were there super early!

My little butterfly.

Tattin it up.

Love this butterfly.

Helpers.

Kimmy and I.

Beach backdrop better.

Safety first.

Butterfly Effect.

Circle time for the blessing.

Lots of butterflies.

Incredible.

Checking it out.

Windy!!!!

These boys trying to figure out what was going on and when they could get some snacks.

Our crew.  Karla, Me-Shell, Kimmy and I.

Pre water tossed.

Amazing pic!