Learning to not be spoiled, appreciation, value, money, consumerism and instant gratification.
Dylan has been obsessed with going to the toy store to spend money for a new toy. Not sure why this started but perfect timing for teaching about money, earning it and saving. I think it started when we randomly chose an evening to spoil the boys by going to pick out a toy at target. His friend has a new lego set and we decided to take them to get one. Not much was said after the target trip and they ended up getting the same lego guy. They of course wanted the really expensive lego set but we told them they could save their money or get they lego guy we came for. Of course, they chose to get the lego guy. About a day or so later is when it started. None stop talk about going back to get the other set of legos. So, I took them to the toy store so we could check the price of the item so we could start saving our money. Well, that was a horrible idea!!!! They got so distracted and now want a different toy. Hahahahaha. And, it turned into a lesson on patience and that we don't always get what we want. I wish I could buy them everything they wanted all the time but 1, can't afford it and 2 (most importantly) wanting something is good. Oh, explaining this all to a 4 year old is hard. After a few days of asking me to count his piggy bank, see the picture of his boat he wants and begging me to go back to get his toy repeatedly it finally passed. Birthday gift!!!
Hudson found a boat just like Dylan.
Dylan has been obsessed with going to the toy store to spend money for a new toy. Not sure why this started but perfect timing for teaching about money, earning it and saving. I think it started when we randomly chose an evening to spoil the boys by going to pick out a toy at target. His friend has a new lego set and we decided to take them to get one. Not much was said after the target trip and they ended up getting the same lego guy. They of course wanted the really expensive lego set but we told them they could save their money or get they lego guy we came for. Of course, they chose to get the lego guy. About a day or so later is when it started. None stop talk about going back to get the other set of legos. So, I took them to the toy store so we could check the price of the item so we could start saving our money. Well, that was a horrible idea!!!! They got so distracted and now want a different toy. Hahahahaha. And, it turned into a lesson on patience and that we don't always get what we want. I wish I could buy them everything they wanted all the time but 1, can't afford it and 2 (most importantly) wanting something is good. Oh, explaining this all to a 4 year old is hard. After a few days of asking me to count his piggy bank, see the picture of his boat he wants and begging me to go back to get his toy repeatedly it finally passed. Birthday gift!!!
Hudson found a boat just like Dylan.
Wakeboard boat. Dylan is obsessed with wake boarding now. Mom, when I get older I want to wakeboard, remote control stuff and jump out of planes called sky diving. Wear a suit, put on your helmet. Hudson says that is too scary for me. Dylan says no, you do it when you are older. Be brave.